Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oats Pesarattu with Garlic chutney

Pesarattu is one of my favourite tiffin. Whenever I go to a good Andhra restaurant I used to eat this. When I realized that it was a very easy recipe, I started to make them regularly. Especially during my pregnancy I used to eat pesarattu a lot. I add Oats to this pesarattu for two reasons: to make my hubby eat oats:); I also feel that oats gives a little crunchy taste to this.



Ingredients:
(Yields 7 to 8 dosas)

1 cup whole green moong dal
1/2 cup oats (quick cooking oats)
2 tblspn raw rice
1 or 2 green chillies
1 inch ginger
salt to taste

Wash and soak moong dal and rice together for 2 to 3 hrs. Then grind them along with oats, green chillies, ginger and salt adding water. The batter should be smooth and of pouring consistency. Heat a tava or griddle. Then pour a spoon full of batter on the center and spread it like you do for normal dosa. Wait until the bottom turns golden color. Sprinkle oil over the dosa and spread the oil evenly, using the back of the spatula. Now reverse the dosa and let it cook for few seconds. Serve this pesarattu with peanut chutney/ginger chutney/ garlic chutney.

Today we had them with garlic chutney.

Garlic Chutney
Ingredients

1 small garlic clove peeled
1/2 cup grated/shredded coconut
2 tblspn roasted channa dal
2 to 3 dried red chillies(adjust spice according to taste)
salt to taste

For tempering:
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp split black gram dal
few curry leaves
little asafoetida

Dry grind roasted channa dal, red chillies, garlic and salt. Then add coconut and water and grind them to a smooth paste. Heat oil in a small pan for tempering and add asafoetida, mustard seeds, split uradh dal and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter, then add this to the chutney and serve.

No comments: