Monday, February 2, 2009

Stepping into my fantasy world with Reduced fat Jam Cookies/Biscuits

It feels soooo amazing to finally start my own blog. Cooking has been my passionate hobby since I was in high school. It always felt too right for me to be in the kitchen. My family was very big. Everyone had different tastes and different preferences and it used be very challenging for me to cook there. Cooking in my Mom's kitchen is the toughest job, she is a big critic and I was always scared of any disasters. After marriage I have a kitchen of my own and a guinea pig (who married me). He always encourages me to try different items and is ready to take chances:) Whatever I am blogging here are the recipes that I have tried and tested.


So from today there will be lots of fireworks in my kitchen and I hope it will be worth all the efforts:)


Whenever my sweet tooth nags me for something, immediately I will make this cookie. Believe me it is very easy to make and nothing can go wrong. I am always a little conscious about what I eat, so I use Butter blend/Butter substitutes instead of regular butter wherever possible to reduce the fat. You can use butter if you like(I had never tried them with regular butter) but trust me these cookies are really good even with the butter substitute. I like my cookies soft and chewy so here is the recipe:




Ingredients:(Yields 9 cookies)

1/4 cup Smart balance 50/50 butter blend (you can use any brand but check the label if it is suitable for baking)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
pinch of cardamom powder
2 tblspn of Jam (I have used mango Jam)

Keep the butter in room temperature for about 5 mins and cut them into small pieces. Whisk the sugar and butter together till they mix completely. Then add the cardamom powder and flour to this mixture and combine to make a dough. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 300F.
Make small balls out of the dough and flatten them slightly with your fingers. Press your thumb in the center and make a hollow impression. Then fill them with the jam. Place them in a cookie tray(I use the non-stick one so didn't grease them) and bake them till they start to brown around the corners.I never bake cookies in batches as we like them fresh from the oven and hence the small quantity:)

No comments: