Saturday, February 28, 2009

Goat Liver Masala

Everyone in my family will definitely know my husband's favourite Sunday breakfast, "Poori with Goat liver masala". Only after coming here, he couldn't have them regularly. But when he was in India he used to enjoy his Sunday breakfast so much and would never miss them for anything:) Since he absolutely loved them, his mom would get the "Goat Liver" first thing on Sunday mornings and prepare them for breakfast. Since I used to be a vegetarian my mom-in-law used to make special side dish for me:)

Before marriage even my mom always used to insists us to eat the Goat liver. She used to say that it has lots of vitamins and irons and is very good for the health. But in my family everyone used to prefer seafood and so my mom would make them only once in a while. My mom usually makes them as a dry curry, I would post that recipe soon.

This is my mom-in-law's style. Even before my marriage I learnt this recipe from her. Probably this was the first recipe I learnt from her. This masala goes very well with Poori /Roti/Dosa/Idly but we had never tried with rice.

Warning: Poori with this masala is really addictive....if you have it once then you cannot stop thinking about the taste.




Ingredients:

1 lb Goat liver washed and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 medium sized onion sliced
1 tomato chopped
2 green chillies slitted
5 to 6 garlic cloves peeled
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 cloves, 1 big piece of cinnamon, 2 cardamom pods, 2 bay leaves
salt to taste

Heat oil in a medium sized pan. When the oil is hot enough add the fennel seeds and whole garam masalas. When the garam masala start to splutter add the onions, garlic and green chillies. Saute till the onions turn transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the oil start leaving the sides. Now add the goat liver, salt, turmeric powder and all the spices and mix. Add 3 cups of water to this masala and close the pan. Let it simmer for 20 to 25 mins or until the goat liver gets cooked completely. Meanwhile grind the coconut into a smooth paste by adding little water. Add this coconut paste to the cooked liver masala and cook for another 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.

No comments: